CONTENDING FOR THE FAITH
My beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, for as much as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord, (1 Cor. 15:58) CONTENDING FOR THE FAITH
WHAT IS CONTENDING
- Contending is to strive in opposition or against difficulties; struggle: armies contending for control of territory; had to contend with long lines at the airport.
- It is to strive in competition, as in a race; via: two runners contending for the lead.
- It is also to strive in controversy or debate; dispute.
WHAT IS FAITH?
Faith is trust, assurance and confidence in God. Living faith is shown by service and obedience to God.
WORLDLY VIEW OF FAITH
CONTENDING FOR THE FAITH
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
It is the substance or assurance of things we hope for, but have not yet received.
BIBLICAL VIEW OR PERSPECTIVE OF FAITH
Faith is confidence, belief, trust. It is also our evidence of that which is not seen the invisible spiritual things.
In another sense, faith in Christianity is often discussed in terms of believing God’s promises, although unproven, trusting in his faithfulness, and relying on God’s character and faithfulness to act.
Faith comes before a prayer is answered or before an individual has received what he or she has requested from God. If we have received what we asked for, then faith is not needed.
Faith is what makes real the things we hope for. It is proof of what we cannot see. Faith helps us understand that God created the whole world by his command. This means that the things we see were made by something that cannot be seen. Hebrews 11:1,3
6 WAYS OF CONTENDING FOR THE FAITH
CONTENDING FOR THE FAITH
1) When a person or group of believers through faith and the covering of grace take a mission to oppose everything that withstands the purpose of God .
2) And insists that the will of God and glory of His name prevails on someone, church, family, community, state, nations, or world the faith is being contended for.
3) It is a multi-dimensional war that is fought on holiness, instructions, obedience, faith, patience and dogged determination.
4) In order to make the necessary advance in the work of God and in road in the kingdom of darkness.
5) It is absolutely essential step that believers take their rightful seat in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus.
6) Then from that seat of faith, hold the power of the land, sea and air in subjection through the name and authority of the Lord Jesus.
How can we increase our faith?
1) From the beginning of time the instrument for contending for the faith is knowledge of the word of God.
2) Many will mumble at this, preferring to have prayer in this place. However, a little reflection will prove otherwise.
3) And you shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free (John 8:32). The word of God is called the sword of the spirit, in Ephesians 6:17.
4) It is the instrument of war by the Holy Spirit and by the believer. The spiritual warfare that rages among men takes place in the mind, which is the seat of knowledge.
5) Satan fights to control it; the natural man wants to be in charge, the Holy Spirit keeps knocking to have dominion.
Is THE MIND IS THE BATTLE GROUND?
The primary function of the Holy Spirit is to lead the mind of men to the truth.
From the Scriptures that God has not blessed one person with more faith than He has blessed someone else.
People in general often see someone prospering according to the Word, whether in his health, his finances, his family, and so forth, and they get the mistaken impression that God must have given that person more faith.
HAVE EVERY BELIEVERS BEEN GIVEN THE SAME MEASURE OF FAITH?
So the first thing I want you to know is this: Every believer has been given a measure the same measure of the God kind of faith.
According to EPHESIANS 2:8 For by grace you are saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: IT IS THE GIFT OF GOD;
ROMANS 12:3 According, as GOD HATH DEALT TO EVERY MAN the measure of faith.
IS FAITH A GIFT FROM GOD?
So know that faith comes from God. It is the “gift of God.” But He has given it to every believer. He has given to every believer the measure, or the same measure, of faith.
Measure Notice also that God has done it (Rom. 12:3); it’s not something that He is going to do. We’re not trying to get faith. We’re not praying for it. We have it. Every believer already has a measure of the God-kind of faith.
GROW YOUR FAITH BY PUTTING IT TO WORK
You see, God gets everyone started off the same way. He doesn’t give one person more faith than He gives another. He gives to every man the measure of faith. Then your faith grows according to what you do with it.
A lot of people have done with their faith what the fellow in the Bible did with his one talent.
According to Matthew 25:25, So I was afraid. I went and hid your money in the ground. Here is the one bag of money you gave me. They’ve just wrapped their faith up in a napkin, so to speak, and hid it. They haven’t used it at all.
It’s up to you what you do with the measure of faith God has given you. So the second thing I want you to know is this: This measure of faith can be increased. But you’re the one who increases it, not God.
THE TWO WAYS THAT YOU CAN INCREASE YOUR FAITH ARE
Certainly God furnishes the means whereby faith can be increased. But you increase your faith by doing two things:
1) feeding it on the Word of God, and
2) exercising it—or putting it into practice.
EXAMPLE ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURE
The Bible very often uses natural human terms to teach spiritual thoughts. For example, this is how Jesus taught in His earthly ministry, as we can read in the Gospels Matthew 4:4
He said man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceed out of the mouth of God.
Jesus is using a natural human idea to convey a spiritual thought. He’s saying to us that what bread (or food) is to the body, the Word of God is to the spirit, or the heart, of man.
You know that if you eat food regularly, it will build you up physically. Yet if you eat right but don’t exercise, all you’ll do is get flabby and out of shape.
WHY YOU NEED TO INCREASE AND EXERCISE YOUR FAITH
In much the same way, you need to feed your faith on God’s Word. But you also need to exercise your faith, because if you don’t, your faith muscles will lack firmness. They won’t be able to do much spiritually when it comes to moving mountains in your life.
You can feed your spirit on God’s Word and thereby feed your faith, because God’s Word is faith food. But you also need to exercise your faith to develop it and cause it to grow.
According to Romans 10:8, Paul refers his message he preached as the word of faith. He called the Word of God the word of faith, because the Word will cause faith to come into your heart (Rom. 10:17). God’s Word will build assurance, confidence, and faith in your heart. Then you’re to exercise that faith.
TRUTH ABOUT MEASURE OF FAITH
CONTENDING FOR THE FAITH
So we know that the measure of faith we’ve received can be increased by doing two things: by feeding it on God’s Word and by putting it into practice (or exercising it) in everyday living.
In the same vein, it is at the realm of knowledge that we can exercise dominion over God’s creation and our environment.
3 KEYS OF THE DISTINCTIVE CHARACTERISTICS OF MAN
Faith is also the distinctive characteristic of man with regards to the lower animals. It is the surest indicator of life.
For wisdom is a defense but the excellency of knowledge gives life to them that have it, an avalanche of evidence that man is created in God’s image.
God has also commanded that we should be knowledgeable. You can see that knowledge seems to be almost the defensive wall of the Christian defense.
But as one watches the Christendom today it appears that one using the brain has become an anathema. This is why most Christians live in suspicion, rebuff new invention and information with dogmatic passion. This is insulting the wisdom of God. Use the wisdom God has bestowed on you to defend yourself and Christianity at large.
The major truth is word of God is the principal weapon of children of God. Know the word of God and exercise it through Faith.PRAYER
Oh! Lord, help me to be knowledgeable in Your Word in my daily walk with you Amen!
2 Kings 10-12; Matthew 13:31-58; ISAIAH 41:8-15